Bring another serving of vegetables and important nutrients to your plate with this veggie-filled twist on classic fajitas. We’ve upped the vegetable ante by sautéing savory mushrooms and mixing them with steak for an umami-rich, flavorful punch. And we’ve sped up the preparation time on this Tex-Mex favorite, forgoing marinating the steak by using a tender cut.
Mushroom Steak Fajitas
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
- 12 oz sirloin or other boneless steak, about 3/4-inch thick
- 3 cups sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1 tbsp no-salt fiesta lime seasoning (like Mrs. Dash), divided
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, sliced into strips
- 8 whole wheat tortillas, 6-inch
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 4 tbsp non-fat sour cream
Slice beef across the grain into ¼-inch strips. Place in a medium bowl with ½ tbsp fiesta lime seasoning; toss to coat. Place mushrooms, peppers, and onion and remaining fiesta lime seasoning in a large bowl; toss to coat. Heat oil in large, non-stick skillet. Add beef strips; cook about 3-4 minutes. Remove from skillet. Place coated vegetables in skillet and sauté until vegetables are slightly tender, about 5-8 minutes. Add beef back to skillet and sauté mixture 1-2 more minutes. Assemble fajitas by dividing beef-vegetable mixture evenly on each tortilla, top with remaining ingredients and roll up.
Download this MyPlate recipe from the Produce for Better Health Foundation now.
Download more delicious mushroom recipes that your customers will love below.